What is Sleep Sedation Dentistry?
Sleep dentistry is a type of dentistry that allows our patients to comfortably complete their dental treatment without the worry or anxiousness of the “dental visit”. Patient’s are comfortably eased into a light sleep while their dental work is completed all in one visit. No longer do patients have to be fearful of the dentist or neglect their oral care because of their anxiousness. SDDS Dental has the solution!
How Does It Work?
Your initial visit begins with digital x-rays. A comprehensive exam is completed and your treatment plan is created. Your needs and wishes are discussed and incorporated into the treatment plan. No dental work is completed during this visit. Once you and Dr. Safaei have agreed to a plan, we schedule your sedation sleep appointment. From here, Dr. Shelechi, your personal anesthesiologist will connect with you and prep for your visit. On the day of your sleep sedation, you will have both Dr. Safaei AND Dr. Shelechi by your side. You will wake from your sleep, your dental work will be completed and you have essentially skipped over the anxious part of going to the dentist.
What makes sleep sedation better at SDDS Dental?
Dr. Safaei incorporates a personal anesthesiologist, Dr. Shelechi, to coordinate your treatment! This is unique in several ways:
- Dr. Shelechi is both a Dentist and an Anesthesiologist. His understanding and experience as a dentist allows him to customize your sleep regimen specifically for dental treatment making your experience safer and more pleasant.
- By working in conjunction with Dr. Shelechi on your sleep day, Dr. Safaei separates the duties of sedation/sleep and dentistry between himself and a personal anesthesiologist, allowing each to focus on their tasks. While Dr. Shelechi is monitoring your sleep, Dr. Safaei is focusing on your treatment. This keeps each practitioner focused on their very important duties and prevents distractions and mistakes to occur. Working in conjunction and with focused duties gives our patients the absolute best experience during their sleep day.
Who is Dr. Shelechi?
Dr. Behzad Shelechi received his bachelor’s degree from California State University Fullerton and then obtained his doctoral degree from the University of Southern California, School of Dentistry. Under the guidance of renowned anesthesia educator Dr. Stanley Malamed, Dr Shelechi was hand-selected for an exclusive two-year intravenous sedation selective. As a member of this program, Dr Shelechi was responsible for responding to medical emergencies at the dental school, as well as assisting in the teaching of local anesthesia to dentists and dental students.
Dr Shelechi practiced general dentistry for five years before he decided to extend his scope to anesthesiology. He graduated from the NYU Langone Dental Anesthesiology program, an exhaustive post doctorate residency in dental and medical anesthesiology.
During that time, Dr Shelechi received extensive training in the field of anesthesiology by providing anesthesia for over 1500 procedures in the areas of general surgery, vascular, orthopedics, podiatry, urology, endoscopy, oral and maxillofacial surgery as well as emergency trauma surgeries. His extensive experience in these fields makes him fully qualified to provide dental anesthesiology.
Dr Shelechi is absolutely dedicated to providing compassionate and safe anesthesia for all of his patients and strives to treat every patient like his own family. He provides anesthesia for wide range of patients including special needs, pediatrics, geriatrics, as well as healthy individuals with dental phobia and anxiety. Dr Shelechi is licensed and practices anesthesiology in the state of California and Utah.
Dr Shelechi is a member of:
- ADA (American Dental Association)
- CDA (California Dental Association)
- ADSA (American Dental Society of Anesthesiology)
Dr Shelechi is certified in:
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)